Yesterday Rain & Today Chili

Yesterday was a rainy day and there is nothing I enjoy more than a great bowl of chili or a hearty stew. I was debating between "sancocho" a hearty root vegetables and beef stew or chili. Since chili its generally easier to prepare, and all the ingredients were at hand I just went for it. Within 10-15 minutes my apartment was full of aromas strong enough for my neighbor to knock at my door and ask what I was cooking. Another 30 min. pass and I was enjoying my bowl of chili with cheese and green onions. Last I want to share this tips, the longer you let it simmer the better and always make a big batch because the next day it taste even better.

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef
1/3 pound of ground pork
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. anniato ( achiote ) powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. cumin
2tbsp. chili powder
2tbsp. paprika sweet smoked 
1 lg. onion diced 
2 bell peppers diced 
2 cans of diced tomato
1 can tomato sauce 
2 can of beans
1 can chicken broth or 1 light beer
TT salt 

Preparation: Season the meat with salt & pepper, then brown it on a sauce pan with some olive oil, once cooked through add all the dry ingredients, and saute for about 5 minutes on medium, stir a couple times, add onion and peppers, cook for 1 or 2 more minutes. At this point add the chicken broth, and scrape the bottom of the pan so all the yummy flavor bits don't get left behind.Add the beans, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, bring to a quick boil and then simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Taste and add some salt if needed, then enjoy with your favorite topping.

No comments: